I’ve been really doing a lot of ‘couch pondering’ (where you just sit on the couch staring at the ceiling for hours…thinking) about that retched topic — money. God, how I love having it and, boy, how I despise the need for it.
What a stinking dichotomy!
I work for myself and, as many of you who do the same may know, it’s great and liberating to be on your own schedule but it sure has its lows — mainly financial. By the time the end of the month starts rearing it’s bill-paying head, I have worked myself into a froth over the hows and whens of imminent account deductions.
Why can’t we all just have a gazillion dollars in the bank and live our lives the way we were meant to — in joy and creative splendor?!
Wishful Thinking or Reality?
I suppose one has to take another look at abundance and wealth to pop this little blister of a conundrum. Is it really all about money? Now don’t just yell out ‘YES!’. What if we could really create abundance without the price tag?
When I set my intentions for this year and created my list of 7 things I wanted (read about how you can start your own list here: 2014 — The Year to Sculpt Your Life!) — I managed to procure 3 things on the list without spending a dime.
It was through people’s generosity and thoughtfulness that I was able to manifest a few luxury items I would have otherwise thought I could only obtain through ‘buying’.
It made me think.
Sustainable Living is Thriving!
I am also in the process of moving from the city into the countryside. We are doing this because (a) property is SO much cheaper out there and (b) we want to start growing our own food and need land, etc with the possibility of a few rain-water tanks and solar panels.
Just making this move will cut our bills in half — I’m being deadly serious! I simply can’t wait for the off, as I’m sure you can well imagine.
But not only will this help us to economize but it will also allow us to reduce our carbon footprint and consumerism. I strangely enough, have a feeling of immense abundance when I look at it that way. It doesn’t involve abundance money can buy but wealth of spirit and a heart-centered gratification.
Instead of the typical scenario of society telling us that wealth is in accumulating more and more, the truth is that cutting down and needing less provides more abundance in your life — just not in that stereotypical way.
Get your head out of your bank account and into the breeze of that freshly mown lawn!
Do You Need Something?
If you do need something — be it a new dining room suite or tin of apricots — set your intention and put it out there. How?
By talking to other people about what you want (not hounding them for hand-outs but simply mentioning it if it’s appropriate to do so — you never know who you might be talking to),
- writing your desires down on paper and reading them out to yourself every day,
- letting go of how you are going to get it, just know that it will happen in its own way,
- be vigilant and on the look-out for any synchronicities (read more on synchronicity here: Why Synchronicity Can Change Your Life) or signs that may bring you closer to your desire,
- practice gratitude and
- give where you can (generosity tends to have a boomerang effect).
Solving the Need for Money — What is the Answer?
Do these suggestions solve the need to live without money? No, but it’s a start.
The more you put these things into practice, the more you will start seeing how we, as a more heart-centered community, can pull together and get what we all want with little or no money passing hands.
It can happen through:
- Service/Expertise Swapping
- Thinking Out of the Box
Make sure you are open to receive as well as to give.
Can We Live Without Dosh?
Even though we can do a lot for ourselves without money — there is still a lot of things we do need money for in order to live in modern society. Just having no internet access alone would bring my foundations crumbling down.
I don’t have all the answers as to how we can live with less money but I do know that if we all pull together and brainstorm ways, a moneyless society could be possible in the near future.
The answer is out there, waiting for us to catch up with it.
4 Things to Get You Started
For now, all the advice I can offer you if you are having financial woes, is to put your intentions out there and think of ways you can experience abundance without money.
There are loads of things you can do or experience to make you feel extremely wealthy.
Here are a few tips:
- Make a gratitude list of things you have (the roof over your head, your health, a full belly, the love of your cat/dog or the warm bed you sleep in at night).
- Go be in nature — when you give yourself time and space to relax and sit on some grass or walk on the beach, you will feel the abundance of the Earth. Lack is only a by-product of what our current society dictates to us that we must have. Nature has everything we need and to reconnect with the wealth of the planet is a very grounding activity. This is your planet! You were born here and you are a citizen of the globe — your abundance lies all around you and not only in coins, printed paper or digital numbers.
- Call on the never-ending supply of love that is all around you. You are loved, no matter who you are. Never forget that. If you are reading this and thinking, ‘no-one loves me’ then you are wrong — I love you and I’m not the only one. Feel the love that is yours to tap into whenever you are feeling low and alone.
- Keep reminding yourself of what you would be doing right now if money was not an issue or required. Whatever that is, focus on it and set your intention to live that way.
Please let me know if you are having any success trying to live with little or no money. What is your take on this topic? Leave your comments below.
You may also enjoy: