Inflation affects us all. I wanted to share a few simple tips that helps my household budget withstand all the recent price hikes.
- Set a weekly budget. I can’t stress enough how important it is to know what you have to spend, what you need to put away for bills and, hopefully, what you can put away for a rainy day. And DON’T spend what you don’t have! This is something that was instilled in me by my parents from a young age and it is advice that has worked well for me. If it’s worth having, it’s worth saving for.
- Cook at home. Back in the day, my hubby and I loved dining out but since we made a commitment to save and spend more time and money beautifying our house and garden, I don’t miss it at all! Especially the bill at the end of an evening of merry culinary frivolity. I’m also much healthier now and know what is going into my body, an added bonus.
- Turn your hot water cylinder on for 2-3 hours a day, don’t leave it on all day long. This trick has saved us so much on our energy bill. And it gives us plenty of hot water for 2 people showering and doing dishes, etc. We also have a lot of energy saving bulbs and solar lights which help too.
- Fix things. Instead of always buying a replacement for a broken item (which I’ve been guilty of in the past), get a tube of superglue and/or get sewing. I’m amazed at what can be fixed, as good as new, around the house. And the clothes I’ve darned and repaired instead of throwing out are worth all the needle pricks (and there were many). I suck at sewing. But practice and even thee shall endure!
- Cancel unnecessary subscriptions. Entertainment doesn’t only come in the form of Netflix. Get reading again and dust off that library card! Most libraries also loan DVDs and puzzles too. Board games are a really fun way to pass the time with family and friends, when was the last time you played Chess? Exercise your brain. Read related article here: 8 Life Strategies That Playing Chess Has Taught Me
- Save with nature’s gym. Walking is my go-to all over body workout and it’s free. Do yourself a favour and, if possible, walk in nature and get some sunshine too.
I hope these tips help you to thrive even on a limited budget. Do you have a great savings tip? Please share in the comment box below. Oh, and, one last savings tip! I’m having an unbelievable sale at my store with up to 50% off. Please see below.
Up to 50% Off – Think Christmas!
My artsy cushions are only $12.57 each! You can click on the pictures to take you to the store. Funky socks, cool iPhone cases, hoodies and blankets are on sale too! Christmas gift shopping isn’t looking so bad after all! The sale is on from 7 -11th November 2022.
Check out my top cushion Christmas Picks 2022 HERE.
Thanks for looking!