Synchronicity, Fashion and Travel
I was approached earlier this week by travel expert, Kendra Thornton — who has been featured on shows like Tyra Banks and Nate Berkus — she is planning a trip to New York with some of her friends and invited me to put together a potential outfit idea for her.
Kendra shares regular tips on planning, packing and numerous other aspects of travel (you can follow her on twitter @KendraThornton). She is now starting a new project on fashion as related to travel and expressed a liking for my sense of style hence asking me to enter the challenge.
Funny thing is, it reminded me that one of the things I wrote down on my ‘wish-list’ for this year was a trip to New York (remember, that blog I wrote at the beginning of the year? 2014 — The Year to Sculpt Your Life! I hope you’ve managed to write out your list!).
Sometimes life throws you a little reminder or synchronicity to rekindle your desires that you may have forgotten (read more about synchronicity HERE).
Back to the Challenge — Where to Start?
This is certainly going to be a challenge for me as I live in Cape Town, the laid-back capital of the surfing world — where flip-flops, cut off jeans and tees rule the day.
Who am I to put together and outfit for a night in New York?
Well, after much thought I decided that I was most definitely up for the challenge and embraced the idea of conjuring up a sassy yet feminine, sexy yet comfortable ensemble for Kendra (see bottom of blog for Kendra’s specifications).
I wanted to create something personal and unique for her and decided to:
- Experiment with my very own trademark ‘spiral poppy’ design to fabricate a feminine flow to the ‘look’. Not only will this design be right in line with Spring in The Big Apple but it will also be a first in NYC — it always gives a girl the edge to be adorning something hot off the designers table.
- Go for some accent European-themed gilded accessories to highlight Kendra’s golden tresses and bring out the spiral design in the top.
- Add a touch of my authentic African roots by accentuating the spiral design throughout the outfit. Why is this an ‘African’ thing? Just look at the picture on your right — this is an aerial view of our very own ‘Nazsca’ lines in the Karoo (you can read the article about these strange spiral shapes that dot the Western Cape landscape HERE).
- Pick a trendy pair of gold high-heel shoes that show a definite sense of urban sophistication yet are comfortable enough to walk about town in without breaking your neck.
- Throw in a trim, figure accentuating denim jacket to beat the night chill.
- Compliment that Spring poppy design by adorning the outfit with one of my practical yet glam mini Messenger Bags, and, finally…
- Finish off the look with some gorgeous hair and make-up suggestions. For this part you’re going to need to view my Pinterest board.
My Pinterest board has got all the links and prices of each piece used in this outfit which can be seen HERE.
Kendra was kind enough to really get specific about her needs and where she was heading for her night on the town to give me an idea of what to prepare for.
Here’s what she had to say about this project:
Kendra Fashion New York
How many moms do you know that are constantly runway-ready? Chances are that you don’t know very many.
In truth, trying to raise a family takes precedence above everything else. Even though I am in the midst of planning a trip to New York City with my best friends, I have lots of other things to think about. That is why I could use a bit of your help. I need to come up with the perfect outfit to go with a night of upscale dining and drinking delicious wines at the Dream New York.
My friends and I will be dining at Courgette, a restaurant focused on Northern-European cuisine. Located just a few steps from Times Square, you might think that Courgette is just another tourist attraction. This is not so in the least. It is intimate and quiet, yet somehow still whimsical while resting between Broadway and Seventh Avenue.
I look forward to feeling like I can slip into this beautiful garden restaurant and mingle with friends in the bistro or bar.
I look forward to enjoying antipasti, prosciutto and a fine glass of wine.
I look forward to the warm atmosphere, surrounded by vintage newspapers and playful pictures.
You really can’t expect to go to New York City without seeing a crowd of people who are very fashion-forward. This city has a unique heart and a style all its own. With so many choices available, I was able to use Gogobot to build my itinerary. Unfortunately, they couldn’t also plan my wardrobe for me! Dream New York is definitely one of the best hotels in the city, and I really want to look the part.
Wearing the right outfit will make my night so much more fun. I want to be trendy and fashionable, yet comfortable. Can you help me?
My Outfit Ensemble
This is what I have come up with — the total amount for this outfit is $389.88 and that includes all accessories, clothes and shoes:
Have Your Say!
- What did you think of my wardrobe selection?
- What would you have done differently?
- Where in the world would you love to travel?
- What have you always wanted in your wardrobe but never bought because you’d have nowhere to wear it?
To view the individual items on Pinterest and how much they cost, click on the picture below:
Other articles by Cherie Roe Dirksen you may enjoy:
Earth Day Sparks Off ‘Green’ Boutique
Astonishing Ways to Make Your Home Look Like a Luxury Retreat!
Never Before Seen Photographs of How I Paint My Patterned Poppies
7 Tips on How to Market Your Art From Behind Your Desk
3 Crucial Steps to Self Acceptance
Feel Like a Rug Has Been Pulled Out From Underneath?
Self-Empowerment Books by Cherie Roe Dirksen:
Table Books of Art and Inspirational Teachings by Cherie Roe Dirksen: