Disappointment: Your Passport to Greater Things
“Sometimes when you get disappointment it makes you stronger.” — David Rudisa
Some existential theories suggest that the Universe or our current reality is impartial — it’s neutral, like Switzerland. There is no meaning to life except that which we give it.
Now before this article starts to sound like a downer, I want to interject that this is actually an outrageously great opportunity and here’s why:
- If life has no meaning (impartial, neutral, etc) and we are the ones giving it meaning (after all, it is our playground — our realm of freedom to choose) then we can change the game at any time which is cause for massive celebration!
- If we truly are creating our reality (as states the Law of Attraction — which, coincidentally, is also impartial. Read more about that here in this 4 part Law of Attraction series: LOA – Aligning with How You Are Feeling), then we are endowing meaning to our existence all the time whether we’re conscious of it or not. How about making a conscious decision to make it a good one, eh?
- We are at a tipping point when we are faced with disappointment — we can either choose to see it as a negative experience or choose to see it as some kind of Divine timing and fall into the arms of the Universe and Trust (with a big T) that the Universe has our backs no matter what.
Let me explain: When you trust with a figurative big ‘T’ it simply means you know there is a bigger picture than the one you are experiencing. When someone breaks your trust (little ‘t’) you still Trust that there is a greater lesson for your soul in there. When you can do this, you’re going to put a positive spin on your life and all the situations you find yourself in.
Choice — Your Gateway to Opportunity
“Disenchantment, whether it is a minor disappointment or a major shock, is the signal that things are moving into transition in our lives.” — William Throsby Bridges
If life is indeed meaningless and you give it meaning by your choices, you’re in the drivers seat! Every choice you make could be steering you to positive outcomes, if you allow yourself to charge your life in this new way.
My Recent Disappointment
I was recently very let down by someone that I trusted. I thought they were impeccable with their word and — long story short — they weren’t.
At first I vented out my anger and had a good rant. You know the type, ‘how could they do this to me?’, ‘what an asshole!’, ‘why do people act this way — don’t they have any scruples?’. I’m a huge advocate of letting out your emotions. Think of it like a kettle boiling on the burner with the lid on — you’ve got to relieve the lid at some point to let the steam out, right?
When I’d done my venting and had let out of my system all that needed to be — I started to ask myself these 2 important questions:
- What was my lesson? I concluded that this person I was dealing with was not impeccable with their word and that I needed to be cautious with them — which is why I got this ‘little burn’. In fact, by heeding the warning signs of this first let down, I may have prevented having a kettle full of hot water poured down my front by their actions. Rather a little burn than being scalded.
- Is there perhaps something better around the corner that this fallen through agreement has made space for? Yes! I believe so. I don’t know what it is yet but I’m paving the way to give this situation a positive meaning. I trust that everything happens for a reason and that the Universe has my back (‘big T’ Trust in action). The timing is indeed Divine and I’ll curiously await either a better opportunity than the one on offer or keep my eyes peeled for a crisis I may have averted.
Other articles you may enjoy:
The art used in this article is called ‘Proliferation’.
Click on the picture of the painting to your right to take you to my gallery. The original painting is still for sale (at the time of this article publication).
Acrylic and Mixed Media on Stretched Canvas
70cm x 80cm x 2cm
$890 (international shipping incl.)
You can now hear Cherie Roe Dirksen on Big Indie Giant radio as she reads out select articles on air.
She also gives weekly news headline updates taken directly from the Conscious Life News site, so be sure to tune in.
Cherie Roe Dirksen is a self-empowerment author/columnist/radio presenter, multi-media artist and musician from South Africa.
To date, she has published 3 self-help and motivational books and brings out weekly inspirational blogs at her site www.cherieroedirksen.com. Get stuck into finding your passion, purpose and joy by downloading some of those books gratis when you click HERE.
Her ambition is to help you to connect with your innate gift of creativity and living the life you came here to experience by taking responsibility for your actions and becoming the co-creator of your reality. You can follow Cherie on Facebook (The Art of Empowerment — for article updates). She has an official art Facebook page (Cherie Roe Dirksen – for new art updates). You can also check out her Facebook band page at Templeton Universe.
Self-Empowerment Books by Cherie Roe Dirksen: