When we are in nature, we are in our natural state — you could even say we are in our ‘element’. And that is synchronously why it feels so joyful to go for a walk on the beach, stroll through a meadow or simply sit under a tree.
We are being reconnected with our state of inexplicable bliss.
Why Is This So?
There is an excellent documentary called ‘Dirt’, which outlines soil’s effect on every aspect of our lives, including our survival as a species. The simple truth of this is that we are all made up of the dirt of the earth and will return there some day. We are one and the same and share an incalculable bond with the planet we reside upon.
The very ingredients of our bodies are made up from the food you consume, which comes from the earth. When we honor and respect our planet, we honor and respect ourselves.
The house you live in, the car you drive, the computer you sit at, the ground that supports you is made possible by the world you inhabit.
Well, this doesn’t mean you have to become a tree-hugger (not unless you feel the calling!) — all I want you to think about is your connection to our beautiful, resourceful Mother Earth.
There is a bond that is severed when we forget about nature and the true joy it can bring. When we feel disconnected, being in nature can be the very inexpensive cure we need to re-align that which is out of atunement — which then becomes atonement (at-one-ment), reparation or making amends with your divine system.
7 Tips to Get You Started
Below is a list of things you can start today to get you into alignment with your true self. They are designed to truly get you back into the ‘now’ moment and to be present in your body. Explore your senses that so many take for granted, and have fun!
Here are 7 priceless things that your life has to offer:
- Touch — Taking a walk amongst trees, touching the rough bark. Get back in contact with your sense of feeling textures and surfaces.
- Smell — Sitting on a park bench or in your garden, can you identify all the different aromas? Can you smell the sweet scent of the flowers hanging on a gentle breeze? The time has never been more suitable to stop and smell the roses!
- Feel — Strolling on the beach, letting the water wash over your bare feet. Feel the coarse sand underfoot. Walk bare-foot through a patch of wet grass and feel that freshness seep into your soles.
- Taste — Biting into a freshly picked berry or a sprig of parsley — truly taste the freshness and zing of natural produce.
- Beauty — Appreciating the world around you — look at how glorious the wing of a butterfly is! There are so many splendors to be taken in, try to keep your eyes open for magnificence — I promise you, you will be amazed at how much entertainment is all around you in the natural world.
- Hear — Listening to the sound of bees buzzing about their business — now when last can you say you stopped to welcome that precious aural delight? Take note of all the sounds around you, from the wind brushing through the leaves to the birds chirping out a synchronized melody.
- Vision — Marveling at a spectacular sunset or the dawn of a sunrise — can you remember lying on your back on the freshly mown lawn, just gazing up at the stars or trying to spot a shape in the clouds?
I hope you are clambering for your door this very moment, just itching to get out there!
This was an article I wrote for Purpose Fairy — published on the 3rd September 2012, the original article can be found here: http://www.purposefairy.com/7219/are-you-letting-the-wonders-of-the-world-pass-you-by/