You’ve heard of the monkey mind, right?
It’s the Buddhist term meaning a restless, unsettled, confused, inconstant, indecisive and somewhat uncontrollable state of mind. It’s when the ego thinks it’s in control and uses the mind (thoughts) as its conduit — a state most of us have found ourselves in from time to time (or, for some, all the time).
Unfortunately, these ‘thoughts’ think they run the show (from the mind, which is running ape-shit — excuse the phrase but I had to). This impish-rogue, primate mind can only take you so far and no further. That’s why you can reach a stalemate in your life if you’re blocked from your higher states as the egoic mind is only a shadow of the higher mind.
My penny dropped about how I’ve been trying to manifest according to my unconscious (associated with beliefs), subconscious (associated with emotions) limiting beliefs.
Let me explain:
- I am certain that reality is an illusion, a kind of virtual reality — a playground for our divine, little souls to run amok. Read related article: The Holographic Universe and The Illusion of Separation
- The only thing that is ‘real’ per se is our existence or oversoul/individual soul/higher self. Think of the SIMS game — you, the oversoul, are playing in virtual reality creating families, communities and playing with the concept of individuation, freedom of choice and ‘life’.
- Now this ‘higher mind’ is the one with the overview (not the monkey mind or egoic mind — it can’t see further than your nose). Think of the higher self as the one standing on top of a skyscraper looking out on the city below — it can see all the streets and happenings taking place. Think of you, the part of the self in physical matter, as being on the ground — you’re level of perception is looking down an avenue and only seeing what is directly before you. You are not getting the birds eye-view of the higher self up there gazing upon all possibilities below. Say for example (and this is going to be a very simple example but you’ll get the idea): you want a coffee. The monkey mind can smell coffee brewing but takes you on a wild goose chase all over the city thinking it can pinpoint the location. If you had asked the higher self, it could have told you to take a right and a left and…Starbucks. Headquarters or HQ (what I like to call the higher mind) can see the quickest route while monkey mind is still swinging from branch to branch.
Let go of the monkey mind version of how you want your life to transpire and let in the guidance of the higher mind. The egoic mind can only create from past events. It has no idea of future infinite possibilities because it hasn’t been played out across the minds screen yet, it was not made to do so. That is why when you ask for something you shouldn’t try to conceive of how you’re going to get it — your job is only the asking or the ‘vision’ of what you want not how you’re going to manifest it. Only the higher mind can see the possibilities laid out before you. Have you ever manifested something by letting go of the control aspect? Did you find that you could never have dreamed it possible to show up in the way it did and were fascinated at all the signs and synchronicities (read related article: Why Synchronicity Can Change Your Life) that led you to said manifestation? That’s because your higher self has the overview and not the ego mind.
- When you let go and tap into your intuition, cultivating a bond between physical mind and higher mind, you will allow infinite possibilities and realities to flow through you without the resistance and persistence of the monkey mind getting in the way. The ego thinks it knows everything but it doesn’t, it is only necessary to keep you functioning on an individual capacity in physicality (as far as I can tell). This means that we need the ego to keep us engaged on earth or we’d probably want to go back ‘home’ — you get my drift, right?
- So, let the higher mind pick out the destination (it knows what you came here to do, so let it do its job), you need to be open to receive the package via the physical mind and then interpret it through the physical experience. It’s really quite simple — law of least effort type stuff, savvy?
I recently applied this monkey mind vs. higher mind stuff to one of my life situations and had to laugh. I was trying to conceive the situation as ‘thus’ (via my chimp noodle) when the situation was ‘this’ (something completely different and couldn’t have possibly conceived through the ego mind until I let HQ speak up). Suffice it to say, I was WAY off course but things slipped into understanding when I got out of my own way.
So, how do you get out of the ego mind and step into the higher mind?
Easy! Have fun…lot’s of it! Follow your bliss. Do what excites you, even if it’s making a tasty sandwich, going for a walk or putting on some music and dancing. Follow your bliss — I can’t say that phrase enough.
The easiest way to a higher vibration (because that is where all the good shit is happening, my friend) is through joy, excitement, love and all the other delicious higher vibrational feelings. I wrote an article recently about tapping into that sweet spot, you can read it here: Find Out How to Tune Into Your Personal Higher Vibration
When you’re in a higher vibe, your soul can easily communicate ideas and thought packages to you.
Enough said, go out and do!
Share the love…
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with someone you think will benefit from the information. Another way you can show me appreciation is by supporting my shops – I’ve got unique all sorts from greeting cards to t-shirts and more for those special occasions.
You can enter my store HERE and why not pop by my gallery of original art and high-quality prints HERE or click on the picture box below.